The East Anglian Children’s Hospices, The Treehouse Hospice in Ipswich, was designed by Barefoot and Gilles architects and built by Barnes Construction to help the charity support many more families whose children face life-threatening or life-limiting illnesses.
- East Anglias Childrens Hospice Ipswich – The Treehouse East Anglias Childrens Hospice Ipswich – The Treehouse
- Installation of the front entrance curtain wall Installation of the front entrance curtain wall
- Front entrance curtain wall Front entrance curtain wall
- Installation of the gallery curtain wall Installation of the gallery curtain wall
- Gallery walkway curtain wall Gallery walkway curtain wall
- Gallery walkway curtain wall from inside Gallery walkway curtain wall from inside
- Central courtyard windows and doors Central courtyard windows and doors
- Windows along internal corridor Windows along internal corridor
- Doors leading to central courtyard Doors leading to central courtyard
- Finishing of the internal partition screen Finishing of the internal partition screen
- Contemplation room curtain wall corner feature Contemplation room curtain wall corner feature
Located in the centre of a four-acre woodland site, the building provides children’s bedrooms, family accommodation, meeting activity areas, therapy rooms, living rooms, a staff wing and outdoor facilities. Ali Systems fabricated, supplied and installed the Sapa aluminium doors, bi-folding (folding-sliding) systems, windows, and curtain walling for the building.
The product types specified were used because they were able to achieve the project requirements for the fenestration, both in appearance and the ecological and environmental sensitivities that needed to be considered. All are aluminium profiles were polyester powder coated in Fortilla Grey (BS00A05 Matt) so that the colour of the frames worked well with other details used in the building’s design.
There were many interesting and complicated design aspects that were taken on with this project. The curtain wall surrounding the main entrance, along the walk-trough gallery and in the contemplation room corner feature posed specific design and installation challenges. These challenges were met by the Ali Systems teams involved with the final result being a great success and assisting the building to achieve its aims.
RIBA – Public Realm Feature
East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices supports families throughout their experience of caring for children with life-threatening or life-limiting illnesses. The design for a new single-storey hospice building on a four acre woodland site provides them with an oasis just a few miles from Ipswich town centre.
The design of such a highly serviced building on a protected woodland posed several environmental challenges, which have been met by a collaborative approach. The building has been designed for low environmental impact and is complemented by a 15 year Wildlife Management Plan. Extensive green roofs have been planted with native drought-resistant species, to contribute to reviving the ecology of the woodland, which was damaged by the 1989 storms.
The new hospice settles into the woodland supporting and complementing it. Each part of the building forms a separate finger into the landscape, threading between mature trees which are retained. As the adopted name for the hospice suggests, in the ‘Treehouse’ one can always have a view of trees. Public areas to the front of the site shield the private, contemplative and quiet parts of the building from view. A series of vibrant activity spaces form the major circulation, reflecting the vitality and life-affirming approach of the staff.
(Taken from RIBA, Public Realm 11, Excel Publishing Company Ltd, Manchester, 2011, p172-173)
- Sapa Elegance 52 curtain wall for entrance screen and gallery walls with the ST commercial single door system integrated into some of the gallery screens.
- Angled contemplation room corner feature with Sapa Elegance 52 curtain wall including Dualframe 75mm casement windows operated by Teleflex winding gear.
- Wide range of window styles and sizes using Sapa Dualframe 75mm fixed frame and opening sash casement windows.
- Sapa Dualfold bi-folding (folding sliding) door sets
- Combination openings incorporating Sapa Dualfold folding sliding doors with Dualframe 75mm fixed frame and opening sash casement windows.
- Single and double door sets using Sapa ST commercial door system incorporating louvre fly mesh panels as well as standard glazing solutions.
- Internal dividing screen incorporating Sapa Elegance 52 curtain wall with ST commercial door system with standard glazing and internally glazed tilting venetian blinds.
Ali Systems Ltd, Unit 2, Barford Industrial Estate, Watton Road, Barford, Norwich, NR9 4BG